How To Make Your Own Clothes
**Disclosure: This blog and the posts on it may contain affiliate links, which means I receive a small compensation when you make a purchase using my links at no additional cost to you. This allows me to help my little family, and I appreciate your support in doing so!**
If you saw my post from Thursday about making your own clothes, I didn’t want to leave you hanging. Even if you’ve only ever made a pillow case, this is something you CAN do. But trust me, once you start, it gets a little hard to stop. It’s amazing how we as humans are wired- with the ability to create and design.
Okay, without further ado and blabbing, here are my tips:
1. Find a sewing machine. This goes without saying- unless you are planning on hand sewing, which is going to increase your completion time exponentially. I prefer to use a serger for the majority of my seams, but it is possible to use a sewing machine for the whole process. Walmart and Joann’s have great options for beginning sewing that won’t break the bank. Honestly, I’ve had friends find good quality machines at the thrift store! You could also see if any relatives have a machine they aren’t using. It’s not too difficult to get your hands on a machine.
2. Start with something simple. I would suggest pants or a raglan shirt.
I love pdf patterns. You can print them off on your printer and piece them together, or you can have a copy shop print it for you on a larger paper size, so there’s no assembly required.
One of my favorite pattern companies is Patterns for Pirates- and they actually have a free legging and pencil skirt pattern. Those would be a great place to start. Check them out here.
3. Pick your fabric. The very best thing you can do when it comes to fabric is use what the pattern calls for. It will save you time and headaches!
***You’ll want to make sure you get the right type of fabric. Knit fabric stretches, and woven fabric does not.
4. Follow the tutorials and guides from the patterns. Take your time! If it doesn’t turn out perfect, don’t give up.
5. Don’t be afraid to ask for help. If you have any questions along the way, send me a message through the contact page on the blog!
Keep watching my blog for more tips and to sew with me!